Have you been to Coober Pedy? Climate and geography are among the most determining factors in human life. These two factors are particularly influential on the way we live. In fact, in order to live in some regions where difficult climatic and geographical conditions prevail, it is necessary to be in perfect harmony with nature. This leads to interesting lifestyles and settlements in different parts of the world. The town of Coober Pedy in Australia is one of the strangest places in the world. Because all the inhabitants live underground! The reason is the scorching heat in the region!
Let’s take a look at the story of Coober Pedy, also known as the most interesting town in the world.
- The town of Coober Pedy, about 850 kilometers north of Adelaide in Australia, is home to the world’s richest opal mines.
- The town is also called the opal capital of the world. The first time this precious stone was discovered in the town was in 1915.
- Opal mines caused the region to become a center of attraction, especially from the 1920s onwards.
- Coober Pedy has become one of the most important settlements in the region with miners coming from different countries in Europe.
- But it’s not the mines that make the town an interesting place.
- Coober Pedy is one of the hottest places in Australia. Temperatures in the town never drop below 50 degrees Celsius in summer.
- Even electronic devices need to be refrigerated during this period. In short, it is not easy to live in a difficult geography with a desert climate.
- But the locals have found a way to survive in the town.
- The town’s inhabitants of around 2,500 people have been living underground for years due to the extreme heat!
- For this reason, from the outside, the town looks like an abandoned, deserted settlement, at first glance an eerie area consisting of a few detached buildings and sand dunes.
- But there is vibrant life a few meters below the ground in Coober Pedy!
- Under the town there are many houses, restaurants, shops, beauty centers, gyms, churches and even a hotel!
- All the energy needed for life underground is supplied naturally. The town’s electricity comes from the sun and wind.
- On the other hand, this extraordinary city has a developed ventilation system. So life in Coober Pedy is not as difficult as you might think.
- Residents of the town say that there are no insect and fly problems underground and that they live a life free from light and sound pollution.
- The scorching heat in the region is not a problem for the people underground. The average temperature in this strange settlement is 23 degrees Celsius.
- In short, life in Coober Pedy, also called the most interesting town in the world, is much more comfortable than it seems. For this reason, there are many tourists coming to the town from different parts of the world.
- Coober Pedy, which was an important town for the mining industry long ago, is now a popular tourist attraction.