The Republic of India in South Asia, or India as it is commonly known, is one of the most interesting countries in the world! Because this ancient geography is home to more than 1 billion people, ancient cultures, dozens of different beliefs, magnificent historical buildings, spices, amazing geographies, incredible landscapes and many more. India has been a very important country for world civilisation since ancient times.
Today, India has made great contributions to many developments in the field of technology. Nevertheless, especially when viewed from the West, India remains historically “different”. In short, even today, it is possible to encounter marvellous landscapes that will astonish people anywhere in India. Here are 23 interesting facts about India that you have probably never heard before…
1. India has a floating post office
This interesting post office started its service on Dal Lake in Srinagar city in August 2011. This structure is the first and only floating post office not only in India but also in the whole world.
2. India has the highest rainfall in the world
The village of Mawsynram in northern India is the wettest in the world.
3. In India, a company with more than 100 employees has to get permission from the government to dismiss a single employee
If the government does not authorise it, the dismissal cannot be carried out.
4. It is forbidden to fly kites!
According to a 1934 law, it is illegal to fly kites in India! However, kites can be flown when the police give permission and authorisation.
5. Roads in India can wrap around the earth 120 times
6. India ranks first in whisky consumption in the world
Indians consume almost half of the world’s whisky.
7. Plastic surgery first appeared in India
Hundreds of years before Christ! The book “Sushruta Samhita” written by Sushruta, who is thought to have lived in the 6th century BC, is considered one of the oldest texts written in the field of medicine and surgery. In the book, there are sections where plastic surgery is described in detail.
8. The saffron colour on the Indian flag symbolises sacrifice and courage
White means truth and peace. The green colour on the flag means heroism and loyalty. In addition, the round chakra symbol in the centre of the flag expresses the eternal life cycle in Buddhism.
9. There are 6 seasons in India, not 4
According to the Hindu calendar, there are two other seasons besides spring, summer, autumn and winter. These are the “monsoon season” before autumn and the “winter eve” season before winter.
10. The air in Mumbai, the largest city in India, is so polluted that spending a day in this city is like smoking 100 cigarettes
11. The national animal of India is the Bengal Tiger
Unfortunately, this animal is on the verge of extinction! Today, there are less than 2,500 Bengal Tigers in the world.
12. The country’s national sport is hockey
However, the most popular sport in the country is cricket, which is essentially an English sport.
13. It was a British colony before gaining independence in 1947
14. There are 17 different languages and 844 dialects spoken in the country
15. India’s surface area is approximately 3.3 million square kilometres
So India is the 7th largest country in the world.
16. In India, the “mourning” colour is white, not black.
17. 70 per cent of the world’s spices are produced in India
18. It is the only country that has never attacked any country in its history
Not counting the missiles they “accidentally” fired at Pakistan!
19. In India, unlike the rest of the world, wedding rings are worn on the toe
These silver wedding rings worn on the toe are called “Bichiya”.
20.It is the country where arranged marriages are most common
However, divorce rates in India are quite low.
21. Approximately 50 million trees were planted in India in 24 hours in 2016
22. “Moustache” is extremely important for Indians
Because the moustache is considered a sign of power and authority. In addition, moustached policemen in India are paid more than those without moustache.
23. There are millions of gods in India
Most of the people living in India believe in Hinduism. The number of gods in Hinduism is more than 300 million! The most popular gods in India are Vishnu, Shiva and Brahma.